Thursday, June 16, 2011

Come on, Corn!

Watching my gardens grow has definitely improved my patience. However, I feel as if I can not wait another day for fresh corn.
Photobucket
It doesn't help as I was scanning my cook book trying to find something new to do with summer squash I came across the most amazing corn recipe that made my mouth water instantly. When I finally pick my corn and try it, I will post it. I am hoping it tastes as good as my imagination thinks it will.
We planted corn in a couple different places on the property, trying to maximize yield and space, also to figure out what grows best where for future summer planting. Oddly enough the little corn stalks in the backyard are bigger than the plot in the front where I expected our best harvest to come from. I'm thinking instead of planting the early variety in the front I mixed up the seedlings and put them in the back. The one struggle with having a toddler help you is she decided to take out all my labels from my seed trays and stick them all in my artichoke planting pots. I just recently was able to identify my pepper plants as the peppers are growing since small pepper plants all look the same. Instead of an even amount of jalapenos, green bell, red bell, and yellow wax, the jalapenos are thick and I've got about a half a dozen of the others. I'm guessing the neighbor I thought I gave jalapenos to was shocked when red bell and wax peppers started growing on his "jalapeno" plant! Oops! I'd rather have Ella help me and have a few fun mix ups than exclude her, she has fun helping and what's the big deal how many we have growing anyway, it'll all grow just the same and feed us.
Photobucket
Back to the corn, would you please hurry up and grow so I can boil you, grill you, and smother you in new sauces I can't wait to try. Maybe Ella and I are going to have to go down to the farmers market tonight to get us some sweet corn to hold us over until ours is ready for harvest.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment