Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cheating at Spaghetti Sauce

A simple quick go-to meal when the day's been long and the family needs to be fed has always been Spaghetti. I by no means make my own spaghetti sauce, I'm sure when my tomato plants in the garden are in full swing I will. But sauce is something I buy and keep stocked in the pantry.
I start the big pot of water for the noodles first always.
Then get some oil hot in a good size pan, added an onion and went and picked a yellow squash from the garden, sliced it into half inch circles then cut each circle in four wedges and added them to the pan with some Italian seasonings. I cut them small so they would make sure and cook enough and not be too big.
Let that cook for a while stirring pretty frequently, then added some mushrooms and a sliced up clove of garlic.
You can tell it's a real complicated and precise recipe as my cook times are referred to as "a while," and that I let the onions cook by themselves only as long as it takes me to go and pick a squash.
Next, add your sauce jar of choice and turn the heat down to low. By that time the water is boiling for your noodles, and it'll be time to add them and also put the bread in the oven.
My bread? Oh it's real fancy let me tell you. Remember my columbo rolls from my Barbecue pork sandwiches? There's always bread left over so garlic cheese bread is a good use for those columbo rolls. Break them in half, spread some melted butter on them, shredded mozzarella cheese, sprinkle with a healthy coverage of parmesan cheese, and top with garlic salt. Bread perfection.
Doesn't take long to make what is a very "pantry" meal into more of home cooked goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment